Thursday 22 April 2010

It's an ill wind...

It's that time of the year again.

I'm not sure why it is, but the minute the sun shines, the weather warms and the birds start twitterpating, a young (!) woman's fancies turn to clearing out. An irresistible urge comes over me to clear out cupboards, sort through book shelves, dust away cobwebs and wash down walls.

Don't worry. It won't last. It never does. Although when I've done, I look at my house with a feeling of quiet satisfaction, seeing everywhere looking so much cleaner and less cluttered.

This last week, I haven't been able to do much in the way of spring cleaning physically. A damaged knee ligament has left me hardly able to keep pace with the every day work that keeps a house tidy. I wash up in instalments, and the kitchen floor has not been cleaned properly for several days. I dread to think what I'd say if anyone visited and made their way in there!

The knee problem also means I can't spring clean my body as thoroughly as I intended. I can diet, watch what I eat. I can sleep enough. But I cannot do the exercise I'd counted on.

However, it is an ill wind that blows no good whatsoever, and the news is not all bad. Unable to rush round like a thing possessed, unable to spend hours on housework, having to spend time sitting around recovering from the last burst of energy, all of these things have meant the writing has come on apace.

I'm on target for the amount of writing I wanted to have done by now, and am pleased with the standard of it. I'm ready to go. Deadlines hold no dread for me. If only it was always thus.

I'm also managing to read other people's work, and critique it, as well as preparing the script writing workshop I am giving in Eastbourne next week. I've kept the blogs up to date and written letters to friends. And I've managed to read a couple of books, too.

So, although the knee is painful, and some things went by the wayside - the 10k run is out, it seems - life has not been a total loss.

Like I said, it's an ill wind...

No comments:

Post a Comment