Thursday 5 April 2012

Disappearing witnesses

Easter once was an important time of year. Like Christmas, it was a date to set goals: “By Easter, I will have done this or achieved that.” It determined the school term and heralded summer after harsh and unforgiving winter.

For Christians, Easter is far more, of course. Celebrating the death and resurrection of Jesus, it is the most important time of our year. Far more important than Christmas.

For many years, Christians in Crowborough marked Good Friday with a Walk of Witness. They walked from the United Church to the town centre, at once thanking Jesus for his sacrifice and making a public declaration of their faith. Years ago, the police arranged for the temporary halting of traffic for this, although more recently we’ve had to squeeze onto pavements and take our chances at junctions. The long lines of walkers became little clumps as one group crossed a road and another group waited for a new break in traffic.

This year, there will be no walk at all. I find this a shame. Not because I feel everyone should celebrate my God, or because I wish to proselytise, but because I am proud to confess myself his follower, happy to stand and be counted for him.

I don’t mind that others carry on with their normal day. I don’t mind if they ignore me, or even mock me for marking the occasion. That is their right. I simply would like to be able to walk and witness with others whgo share my beliefs. Is that so wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment